District of Columbia
Recordation tax (a.k.a. transfer tax) is calculated by purchase price.
- Transactions $399,999 and under are taxed at a rate of 1.1% of the purchase price.
- Transactions $400,000 and above are taxed at a rate of 1.45% of the purchase price.
- Example 1: $300,000 x 1.1% = $3,300.
Buyer and seller each pay $3,300 for a total of $6,600 paid to DC.
- Example 2: $500,000 x 1.45% = $7,250.
Buyer and seller each pay $7,250 for a total of $14,500 paid to DC.
FURTHER READING: How to qualify for DC Tax Abatement
Recording fees (Deeds, Deeds of Trust, etc.)
- $31.50 for a Deed and $156.50 for a Deed of Trust.
Property taxes are paid semi-annually:
- Taxes due 3/31 for the period of 10/1 - 3/31
- Taxes due 9/30 for the period of 4/1 - 9/30